Decoding the Hosting Types: Shared Hosting vs VPS Hosting
As a small business owner, you surely know the importance of a strong and secure online presence. The right web hosting can be the answer to all your queries. However, if you’re confused about which one to opt for, worry not you’re in the right place.
In this article, we’ll walk you through two popular hosting types viz. Shared Hosting and VPS Hosting, their advantages and which one fits you the best.
Shared Hosting is a hosting type where multiple websites are hosted on a single server. In this hosting type, server resources like RAM, CPU, disk space etc. are shared by all the websites hosted. Owing to this, Shared Hosting is also known as a ‘Shared Service’. Since resources are shared, this is a low cost and affordable hosting solution for small businesses and bloggers.
Advantages of Shared Hosting
- Is a low-cost hosting hence it is economical
- Having detailed technical knowledge is not a prerequisite
- Easy to set up and manage with enhanced control panel
- Hassle-free plan upgrades and are usually handled by the web hosts
VPS Hosting stands for Virtual Private Server Hosting. In this type of hosting, one physical server is partitioned into multiple virtual servers. Here, each server is isolated from the other and acts as a server in itself with their own dedicated resources. Although multiple websites are hosted on the same physical server, they are all isolated, this gives the feeling of a dedicated server. VPS Hosting is slightly costly and suitable for growing businesses.
Advantages of VPS Hosting
- It comes with full root access thus, so you can customise the server space as per your needs
- It is instantly provisioned the moment you purchase it
- It offers scalability of server resources
- It provides an added layer of security as all servers are isolated from one another
The Deciding Factors
Shared Hosting is the best choice for you if:
- You are a new and small business or professional blogger
- You have less website traffic
- You do not require much server space and bandwidth
- You have less budget
VPS Hosting is the best choice for you if:
- You have a growing business
- You have high website traffic
- You are looking for greater security
- You require more server space and bandwidth
The Best Choice for you
The comparison of Shared Hosting vs VPS Hosting is not as comprehensive as it should be. This is due to the fact that both these hosting types are best for different website types.
If you’re just starting out your business or your website receives less traffic, then Shared Hosting is the one you should opt for. On the other hand, if you are a growing or well-established business with a high amount of traffic then VPS Hosting is the right choice for you.
Regardless of the differences between these two hosting types, none is superior to the other. In the end, it all narrows down to what you are looking for, your website needs and the amount you can invest. We at BigRock offer both, catering to your website irrespective of the type, kind or size of your business.
We hope you are now clear about both these hosting types and can make an informed decision based on your requirements. If you have any queries or suggestions please feel free to leave them in the comments section below!
LEAVE A COMMENT