Here are some FAQs about Self Managed VPS Hosting. If you have more questions, that aren't listed here, we're happy to help.
What is VPS Server Hosting?
Using a technology called Virtualization, isolated virtual machines are created. These come with
dedicated resources and full root access which gives you all the features and functions of a dedicated
server at no additional cost. This is termed as Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting.
What are the advantages of VPS Hosting?
With HostGator’s VPS Hosting, your website will have all the important features — ranging from Full root access to Guaranteed CPU, RAM, SSD Storage & Network and Management options like Stop, Restart and Rebuild for complete autonomy of the servers.
What are the uses of VPS?
Uses of VPS can be endless. It can be a solution for an upgrade from Shared Hosting, Web Hosting Server, CMS's, Custom Applications, Test Environment, etc. to name a few.
What is the scope of support for unmanaged servers?
We provide assistance to queries related to server boot, network, login & hardware. For assistance specific to website or application code, you have to contact your web developer or a local server administrator.
Do you have managed VPS Hosting services?
Yes. We have managed hosting services for VPS hosting, which can be purchased as an add-on with our new or existing VPS products. Under managed VPS hosting, our server specialists will help you with server management, proactive monitoring and will be available round the clock for advanced support. To know more about managed hosting services for VPS servers, click here
Can I increase storage space on my VPS Hosting plan?
Yes, you can increase the VPS Server storage space at an additional cost after purchasing the VPS Hosting plan by following the steps mentioned here.
How can I get my website transferred for free?
If you purchase a VPS server with cPanel (control panel) for 6 months or longer, we offer a free one-time migration service within the first month of purchase. For more details on our Migration Service, please click here
Can I install cPanel on my VPS Server package?
You can buy a VPS hosting plan only with cPanel or Plesk. Based on your selection during the purchase, we auto-install the panel on the server for you.
What is the use of a Private Network?
Using Private Network you can establish a secure, internal and high-speed connection between all or some of your VPS’s. It can be used for Server-to-Server Communication, Master-Slave setup, Cluster setup, Replications, and Migrations.
Speak to our Hosting Specialists to know more.
Is Dedicated IP available with VPS server hosting plans?
You get one Dedicated IP with every VPS Hosting Plan. And an additional addon IP with Snappy 4000, Snappy 6000 & Snappy 8000. For additional IPs, kindly get in touch with the support team.
Can I Upgrade/Downgrade my plan?
Yes, you can upgrade the VPS Hosting plan as your business grows. We do not support downgrades.
What is your backup policy?
We don’t have any backup solution at the moment. Yet, we strongly recommend that you maintain a remote backup through cPanel or Plesk to avoid any hassles during an ill-fated incident. You can purchase a cloud backup solution such as Codeguard for easy backup of your website.
When is the right time to upgrade to virtual server web hosting?
It’s time to upgrade to VPS hosting when;
1. You need full root access to install and maintain your own applications on your server, and
2. You need additional server resources like RAM and Disk Space that is not offered by Shared Hosting.
3. You need the highest level of access to install and maintain your own applications & policies on your server.
4. You don’t need your websites/applications to get bogged down by the resource limits of Shared Hosting
What is the advantage of the Server Administration Panel?
Each VPS server comes with its Server Administration Panel by default. It lets you to carry out crucial server administration tasks (such as Rebuild, Restart, Web-based VNC, Private Network management & Resetting credentials) and monitoring resource consumption (for CPU, Memory, Storage, Inodes & IPs).
Do you have a backup & recovery solution for VPS Hosting?
Yes. We offer Acronis Cyber Backup & recovery solution for your VPS hosting, which can be purchased at an additional cost.
- Acronis backup helps to take full or incremental backups of database, files, mailboxes & disks regularly, depending upon daily, weekly, monthly frequency selected.
- The VPS backup data can be restored instantly & quickly, and is also completely secure against ransomware.
- Acronis backup is available for USA & Asia server locations. On purchase of incremental backup volume, the new volume will be added to an existing Acronis panel (depending on the location)
- Acronis Backup add-on is available in the purchase flow for our new customers and in the control panel for our existing customers.
- Acronis Cyber Backup add-on is not covered under the money back guarantee refund policy.
- The tenure & renewal cycle of Acronis backup is not dependent on the tenure of the VPS hosting purchased