Your Complete Guide to Transferring Your Domain Name to Another Registrar
There are multiple reasons why some people decide to switch domain registrars, including poor security, increased cost, bad service, or you’ve found your best domain name registrar. Considering that you’re here, you’re probably experiencing one of those issues.
But you might be hesitant to proceed with the move because you don’t know where and how to start. This article will guide you on how to prepare for a domain transfer and the crucial steps you should take.
What is a Domain Transfer?
Domain transfer refers to the process of switching your domain from one registrar to another. To be eligible for domain transfer, your domain name must have been with your current registrar for a minimum of 60 days as the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) enforces a 60-day lock after a change of registrant.
You can look for domain registrars offering discounts on multi-year domain transfers or other discount deals and schemes without compromising the quality of service.
Things to Know Before Transferring Your Domain
Transferring a domain from one registrar to another can be a little challenging as it is important to ensure your domain name stays operational and safe during the transfer.
Here are a couple of things you need to keep in mind before transferring a domain:
- When you transfer a domain, its name servers will not change. This is a good thing if a trustworthy and reliable DNS provider* hosts your domain. However, if you’re currently using your registrar’s DNS name servers, you need to switch to your new registrar’s (BigRock or any other) name server before you start the transfer. That’s because your old registrar may turn off your DNS record either during or after the transfer process.
Your domain registrar is the company you pay to reserve your domain name for a set period. Meanwhile, a DNS provider is the company that directs your domain to specific addresses to control services like websites, email, FTP, etc.
- As mentioned earlier, your domain must be at least 60-day old and should not have been transferred in the last 60 days.
- Your domain name must be unlocked before you start the domain transfer. Certain registrars would require you to remove Whois privacy protection before transferring a domain.
- For multiple domain names, you need an authorisation code from your current registrar as you’ll have to submit it with your domain during the transfer process.
How Much Does It Cost to Transfer a Domain Name?
Transferring a domain does not cost a lot because a lot of registrars offer great discounts and promos, especially to new customers.
Yet, it is most recommended to do the transfer during the holidays like Black Friday and Easter. During these times, you can save more on top of an existing discount.
How to Transfer a Domain Name?
Before proceeding with the transfer, it’s advisable to check the following things:
- Confirm if your domain is eligible for transfer
- Check if you need to obtain a Domain Transfer Secret or Authorisation Code for your domain name before placing a transfer request
Once you have confirmed these two things, you can place a domain transfer request with BigRock or any other company. In the next section, we’ll walk you through the process of transferring your domain to BigRock:
- Log in to the Control Panel.
- In the Menu, navigate to Manage Orders and then click on Transfer Domain.
- Now, enter the domain you want to transfer.
- Click the Transfer button.
- By default, the Default Name Servers and Default Contacts you’ve set will be associated with the domain name. You can change the contacts and name servers by clicking on the icon:
For Contacts, click the Change Contact button. Then, you can either select from the available list of contacts or click the Add New button if you want to add a new contact.
For Nameservers, click on the Change Nameservers tab and specify the nameservers.
6.Proceed with the Payment of Invoice.
7.From your Control Panel, provide the Domain Transfer Secret Key/Authorization Code.
8. a) Login to the Control Panel, search for the domain name you are transferring and proceed to the Order Information view.
b)Provide the Domain Transfer Secret Key/Authorization Code
9.Click on the Submit button.
Thereafter, an email will be sent to the Registrant Contact. Once they approve the email and the Domain Transfer Secret Key/Authorisation Code is submitted, your current registrar will be notified about the transfer.
Then, your current registrar will send a mail to the concerned domain name’s Registrant Contact to confirm if they wish to transfer the domain name. If your current registrar or the Registrant Contact accepts the transfer, your domain name will be transferred (under BigRock) in the next 5 days.
BigRock offers lucrative deals and discounts on domain extensions like .life, .biz, .store, .me and more, helping small businesses, professionals, and individuals build their online presence at a reasonably affordable price.