A Beginner’s Guide to Domain Registration
If you plan to launch your own business website then there are a number of things to be taken care of – from deciding the niche of your business, to designing the layout of your website, finding the perfect place to host it (read web hosting) and most importantly, a name. And the most crucial of them all is, choosing the right domain name. Simply put, your domain name should reflect the personality of your brand. At the same time, it should be simple, crisp and attractive to the customer.
Once you’ve decided on the perfect domain name for your website, it is now important to register it before someone else does so. In this article, we’ll walk you through how to register a domain name and once purchased, how to manage it. So let’s start.
The choice of the service provider
Before you choose a service provider make sure that you research them thoroughly as you would most likely purchase your hosting too from them. A good hosting provider aims and delivers maximum uptime, security and support for your website. In fact, we at BigRock offer 24/7 support and varied hosting plans to support your business right from Shared Hosting to VPS Hosting and Dedicated Hosting.
How to register a domain name
Follow the steps listed below to understand the domain name registration process:
- Go to the BigRock home page.
- Here you will find the domain name checker
- Enter the domain name you wish to purchase
- On the right-hand side, you have a section to display the various domain extensions for your website viz. .COM, .IN, .CLUB, .BIZ etc.
- We have selected .COM and .IN
- Click on the ‘search icon’
If your choice of the domain name is available then the tool would show you the price and ‘Buy’ button. However, if the domain name is already taken then it will suggest other options to consider.
To our surprise, both the .COM and .in were available for our choice of the domain name. We chose the .IN domain extension, and clicked on ‘Buy’.
Post clicking on the ‘Buy’ option it displayed the ‘Checkout’ option on the far right corner of the page.
Should you wish to get Business Email for your domain name, you can choose one the plans and click on ‘Add’ to add it to your cart. We didn’t want any Add-ons, hence we didn’t opt for Business Email.
P.S: There are 2 Free email ID’s included with every domain name purchased!
After clicking on ‘Checkout’ you will be redirected to the ‘Order Summary’ page to make sure you’re placing the right order.
Next, select the duration you want to purchase your domain name for and click on ‘Next’.
Next, you’ll be redirected to the ‘Sign In’ page. If you are an existing user, please enter your ‘Username’ and ‘Password’. However, if you’re a new user, click on ‘Continue’ to create your new account with us. Creating an account hardly takes a few minutes.
Once you’ve created an account/signed-in you’ll automatically be taken to the ‘Payment Option’ page;
There are 6-different ways for Payment viz:
- Netbanking/Debit Card (via CCAvenue Payment Gateway)
- Credit Card (Visa/ Mastercard)
- Wallets – PayTM, Freecharge, Mobikwik and JioMoney
- UPI (Unified Payment Interface)
- Pay via Cheque/Demand Draft/Direct Deposit
- Pay via Account Balance (you can add Funds to your account by logging into your Control Panel)
After selecting the payment method, you will be redirected to the appropriate page to make payment. Post successful payment, you’ll get an email for ‘Successful Purchase of the Domain Name’.
Your domain name registration process is now officially complete!
Post purchasing your domain name, you can go to your Control Panel to manage your domain name.
- Log in to your control panel
- Click on ‘Orders’ on the left-hand side vertical bar
- Click on ‘Your domain name’ in our case ‘purplefairie.in’
- A new window opens as shown below, where you can manage your domain name. For instance, enable ‘Privacy Protection’, ‘Domain Forwarding’, ‘Changing Nameservers’ etc.
We hope this article helped you understand how to register a domain name in a few simple steps. If you have any queries related to domains, hosting or anything else, feel free to contact our support for expert guidance or you can even leave a comment below!